Sunday, August 17, 2008

Don't be sad...

I'd visited my uncle; Datuk Sheikh Mustapha Syed Shukor, a dear family friend, at HUKM, a government hospital 3 weeks ago to see how he was doing after a major operation - having his colon tumor removed, the same surgery I had done on me more than 4 years ago.

He looked quite down physically, but man, was he spirited. He must be one of the most optimistic guy I've ever known. He would be - after all he took up the Silva Mind Control method back in the 70s and he had trained under Jose Silva himself! Uncle Sheikh is to me, a living guru of a positive thinker. After all, it was his son that was to become the first Malaysian astronaut. I don't care what people think or say about uncle, but I am absolutely convinced that it was his positive energy that was responsible for influencing his son to become the first Malaysian astronaut.

But as much as a positive thinker that he is, I had caught uncle in a contemplative mood when he must have reflected the extreme emotional swing he had experienced early this year when after celebrating his astronaut son come home so successfully from space, his younger son died suddenly upon his return from Russia.

I had always seen cancer as a diesease of not only the physical state of our being but very much linked with the emotional and spiritual state as well.

I then gave uncle a copy of one of the many books I had read that was to change my life, entitled 'Don't Be Sad' by Aidah ibn Abdullah al-Qarni. The book is a compilation of appropriate verses and narrations from the Quran and the Prophet's Sunnah. It basically teaches us to live - and really live for the present, the moment, and not to dwell in the past nor the future. It teaches us to appreciate the now that we have, and be thankful for today that we are alive and doing well as compared to the millions suffering around us in this finite world of ours.

I hope and pray that uncle will be able to pull it off by putting the past beyond him. He shouldn't even think too much about the future. I told him to just appreciate the fact that he's alive and doing well, and that he's going to continue doing well.

He told me he's looking forward to seeing me at the gym again... That's the spirit to carry, uncle !! You'll be back in no time. All you have to do is to just believe and be convinced that you will, and you'll see what will happen.

Nazlan.

No comments: